Friday, February 15, 2008

Plastic bags - Blech

Plastic bags are handy, but I believe there is an overuse of them especially when you go to a grocery store and the cashier will double bag your one box of cereal; they fill our landfill and do not biodegrade. There is a restaurant that I order food from frequently. I love the fact that every product they place their food in is biodegrable - the cups, the containers and even the utensils. Containers are made from recycled cardboard and the cups and utensils are made from corn. So essentially they will eventually just biodegrade into the ground. The problem with this is that these are things we throw away into our plastic garbage bags which are not biodegrableable hence unless those bags are torn apart before being placed in a landfill those biodegrable items will never do it's job. I know they make biodegrable garbage bags but they are very expensive so for the time being I am stuck using regular plastic.

Please do your planet a favor. I've already taken many steps in doing my part: buying organic wherever I can and afford, I carry a set of reuseable bags when food shopping, I ask for paper instead of plastic if I don't have my bags and that is an option, I buy 2 gallon containers of spring water instead of individual bottles, I always recycle everything single thing I can, even if it's just a paper receipt or the used alumnium foil, etc. It's a bunch of little things but it's the a step in the right direction for me. I hope you are all doing your part too.

Here's something to get you started - buy yourself reuseable bags: http://usa.envirosax.com/

1 comment:

brikee said...

http://www.greendaily.com/2008/02/06/5-surprising-facts-about-plastic-bags/