Friday, June 22, 2007

First and foremost, it is hot here and I mean REALLY hot and humid. When you're walking outside in the sun, sometimes it's almost unbearable. Even though it's the rainy season it's only rained twice since I've been here - once at night while I was sleeping and another time it really came down cats and dogs for about 5 minutes and then it stopped and the sun was out in full force again.

Luckily, the food is downright awesome. Had pad thai for lunch - cost 20Baht which is equivalent to just over .50 cents and it tasted so good. I've been eating like a queen food is dirt cheap and absolutely delicious.

Been doing a lot of shopping since things here are so cheap considering the USDollar is ACTUALLY worth a lot here. So this is really neat - many of you know how much I am into food. Well you would not believe but I bought a 2 foot long cinnamon bark - two of them. Total cost was .25 cents. Now, at home, it would cost me several dollars for a little jar with maybe five 2 inch barks. Realizing this, the plan is to head over to the spice market and buy every spice imaginable and then by jars or spice tins and make my own spice collection.

So aside from shopping and wandering around I've just been relaxing and trying to just not have a single worry in mind for 2 weeks. The 4 dogs at my dad's are a little wild, but cute. Sandy is always licking me. Pokie is adorable and acts like a little puppy running around and pouncing on every insect he sees flying around. Diggy is annoying - he likes to jump on me a lot but is the only smart one to figure out how to open the fence in their abode and Scrappy is just plain fat.

My sisters are cute, a little older now and ask me every single day to play UNO with them and drive them to school every morning.

Anyhow, I'm finally over my jetlag. Will go swimming later this afternoon and this weekend heading up north and then crossing the border to Myanmar for a couple of hours and coming back on Sunday night, hopefully in time for the weekly Sunday night bazaar!

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Strange - to hear the trip sounding like a mix between normal american like stuff and exotic travel adventures. I am so jealous of how awesome and cheap everything sounds. I totally want to go! I hope you are taking lots of photos, Olivia. Did you take your cooking class?

Olivia said...

I have to admit, I'm not taking that many photos. But that's mainly because I've been here a few times before and I already have a million photos of everything :)

Vanessa said...

not acceptable!