Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Me and my stranger friends

I dont know about the rest of you but I sometimes have this strange way of forming these made up bonds with strangers.

For example, I'm generally on the same train every morning to work and generally there are a select 10 or so people I seem to always share that same train and same car with everyday or a couple of times a week. I create these fake names in my head for them and I'll notice what they where and what they do during those train rides. I wonder what jobs they have, where they live and what they do during their spare time.

Yesterday, I saw "Chris" for the first time in many months. I noticed he lost some weight and looked happier than the last time I saw him. I noticed he was still alone and my convinctions about him and his girlfriend breaking up were true.

You see, every day for many many many months him and his girlfriend would take the train together in the morning. They seemed to be very in love and she looking rather very innocent and young; a pretty brunette that seemed like the girl next door. He, on the other hand, looked a little older (but maybe he wasn't and he was just losing his hair early), someone who was probably a dork in high school, wore glasses and looked studious but still a little dorky. They were always holding each other on the platform and in the train he would play with her hair and kiss her forehead and caressing her very often. I was secretly jealous and envious, sitting there and watching them.

One day I noticed she looked upset with him, he tried to do his usual affections and she seemed distant, pulled away and didn't seem like she really wanted to talk to him at all and he looking rather sorry.

The next time I saw him - he was actually without her for the first time and he looked so so depressed. It looked like his mind was elsewhere and you can just see the hurt inside him - he looked like a broken man. I felt really bad for him. In my head I thought, "I'm sorry" and wondered what had torn them apart.

I then saw him a couple of times after that - looking the same way. But then yesterday - months later there he is again and looking like he has moved on! I kept staring at him and also noticed that he looked better and was feeling quite satisfied and content. I never did see her again... and I wonder where she is and on what train? Somewhere out there I suppose...

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

Wow Olivia - this was a very interesting and moving post.

Thank you for sharing. :) I am glad 'Chris' is feeling better. Also, though, when you mentioned how affectionate he was I felt a little jealous!